BLACKSBURG, Va., Sept. 20, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- VPT, Inc., a HEICO company (NYSE: HEI-A) (NYSE: HEI), announced today that it is continuing to expand its product line with a new power protection module, the DVCL Inrush Current Limiter.
The DVCL controls potentially damaging inrush current drawn by DC-DC converters, EMI filters, and discrete capacitors during startup. With a power capacity of 200W, users can protect multiple downstream DC-DC converters and other components using this single, lightweight DVCL module.
"We're continuing to expand our line of standard, off-the-shelf power building blocks for avionics and military power systems," said Michael J. Bosmann, Sr. Vice President of VPT, Inc. "This new front end module works in concert with our DC-DC power converters, EMI filters, and other components to provide engineers with a true 'one-stop-shopping' experience when building a power system. Engineers building commercial aircraft systems, military aircraft systems, or other critical reliability applications can be assured of the most rugged performance and reliability from this inrush current limiter."About Inrush Current and the DVCL Inrush Current Limiter Inrush current is the spike of current drawn by a power supply when it is turned on. Large inrush currents might be governed by a system level specification. High spike currents can create electromagnetic interference in adjacent circuitry, trip an upstream circuit breaker, or overwhelm the over-current protection of a solid state power controller. The DVCL Inrush Current Limiter functions by limiting the rate of rise of its output voltage. It will also control the inrush current of discrete input capacitors. Specific features of this new module include:
- Smallest (1.075 in2), lightest weight (16g) hermetic inrush current limiter available
- High 99% efficiency
- Hermetic package ensures full performance over -55 degrees C to +125 degrees C military temperature range
- Up to 200W output power available to power multiple downstream DC-DC converters and point of load DC-DC converters
- Extreme reliability
- Industry's widest input voltage range of 11 to 50V per MIL- STD-704
- High input transient voltage – 80V for 1 second
- Available compliant to MIL-PRF-38534, Class H
- Defense Logistics Agency Standard Microcircuit Drawing (SMD) pending