WASHINGTON, Sept. 20, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The proposed combination of Express Scripts, Inc. (NASDAQ: ESRX) and Medco Health Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MHS) will bring clear benefits to the nation's patients and public and private purchasers, leading to safer, better and more affordable pharmaceutical coverage and care for American families, company executives will state in testimony today before a House of Representatives subcommittee panel.
Appearing before the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Intellectual Property, Competition and the Internet, Express Scripts chairman and CEO George Paz and Medco chairman and CEO David B. Snow, Jr. will offer the following in their remarks:
George Paz, Express Scripts:
- "Express Scripts' fundamental mission is to make medicines safer, more affordable and more accessible. PBMs make prescription drugs more affordable for clients by creating old-fashioned American competition among brand-name and generic drug manufacturers as well as among more than 60,000 chain drugstores, mass merchandisers, independent pharmacies, and grocery pharmacies. We 'ride the same horse' with our clients, helping them benefit directly from our bargaining know-how and world-class clinical initiatives."
- "Express Scripts is one of more than 40 pharmacy benefit managers, or PBMs, operating in the United States. Every year, Express Scripts is hired by thousands of small businesses, Fortune 500 employers, Taft-Hartley funds, managed care plans, and state and local governments to manage the pharmacy benefits for more than 50 million patients. We are quite proud, however, that our clients 're-elect' us 98% of the time."
- "Whether a patient realizes it or not, through our rapid and robust high-tech adjudication process, more than 100 safety checks occurred before she left the pharmacy. These safety checks avoid costly drug interactions, contraindications, and other harmful medication errors. PBMs save lives and deliver real value for millions of Americans every day."
- "Trend management tools that promote the use of generic drugs are the single most potent tool to lower drug spending. Largely because of the leadership from companies like mine, the use of generic drugs has saved American patients and payers $824 billion in the last decade alone."
- "By bringing together our companies' complementary expertise in behavioral sciences and pharmacogenomics, we have the potential to truly deliver on the real promise of personalized medicine: ensuring that patients get the right treatment at the right time for the best outcome."
- "The combination of Express Scripts and Medco's systems will create a new tool for law enforcement when investigating potentially criminal prescribing or dispensing patterns. With data from more than 65,000 pharmacies across the country, doctor-shopping, polypharmacy, and other instances of fraud can be stopped like never before."
- "As various government agencies monitor epidemiology, or track supply chain disruptions in the United States, our resources will provide comprehensive data that have never before existed. The FDA, CDC, DEA and FEMA could all benefit from the comprehensive warehouse of supply chain data to track, distribute and respond to public health emergencies."
- "The merger of Express Scripts and Medco will help make prescription drugs more affordable for seniors, people with disabilities and working families. It will also help small businesses and large employers better compete in a global economy by helping to rein in their medical costs. Finally, a combined Express Scripts and Medco will help deliver real savings to Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries and put our nation's fiscal footing on a stronger foundation."
- "As the health care industry necessarily focuses on reducing costs; as the 'Super Committee' seeks to find health care savings without compromising patient care; and as all participants in the system are faced with the prospect of doing more with less...by joining with Express Scripts and combining the complementary expertise of the two companies, we will be able to significantly accelerate efforts to reduce overall costs in the health care system and improve the quality and efficiency of care delivery."
- "PBM clients will have plenty of competitive choices post-merger, and the combined Express Scripts and Medco will be fully subject to the competitive pressures that will ensure value-based pricing and service. The reality is that the PBM business is extremely competitive and that competition will only be enhanced rather than diminished by the Express Scripts-Medco merger."
- "Combining Medco's expertise in advanced clinical pharmacy with Express Scripts' expertise in behavioral science will create a new entity that is uniquely able to provide significant progress toward closing gaps in care, saving dollars and saving lives. By joining together, millions of members served by both of our companies will reap the benefits of these unique and complementary programs: increased prescription adherence and reduced gaps in care, resulting in better health outcomes and lower costs."
- "At 12% of payroll, health care is the most costly benefit expense for employers. Reducing the cost of quality patient care will make all American business more competitive – creating a healthier, more productive workforce, preserving existing jobs and creating new jobs in the future."
- "Our health care system does best when many different companies and different models are all working to improve patient health. This diversity of approaches breeds innovation and collaboration. It is a catalyst for experimentation and progress, leading to incremental improvements and often to breakthrough solutions."
- "We all know the future belongs to those who deliver more for less. The merger of Express Scripts and Medco is part of that transformative process."
- "Together, our companies will focus on lowering the prices customers pay for their medicines and improving their quality of care. And by delivering on that promise we will build a strong, competitive company that helps millions of people to live longer, healthier lives, while supporting the nation's goal of a sustainable, affordable health care system."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV