9. Chesapeake Energy (CHK), the second-largest producer of natural gas in the U.S., is focused on discovering and developing conventional and unconventional natural gas and oil fields onshore in the U.S. Chesapeake has major stakes in the Barnett, Fayetteville, Haynesville, Marcellus and Bossier natural gas shale wells and other unconventional liquid plays.
Revenue for the second quarter of 2011 was $1.79 billion, vs. $1.16 billion in the same quarter a year ago. Net income was $467 million compared with $235 million in the year-ago quarter.
By the end of the second quarter, Chesapeake developed the largest combined inventories of onshore leasehold (14.48 million net acres). Net production from the property is 320 million cubic feet equivalent (MMCFE) a day with an operating rig count of 30.According to Bloomberg, 54% of analysts covering the stock give it a buy rating. Shares have appreciated nearly 20% over the past year, and the stock is trading with a P/E of 10.8 based on estimated 2011 earnings. The average one-year price target of analysts covering the stock is 28% greater than current levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV