10. Chevron is a $200 billion energy major with both upstream and downstream operations.
Sales for the second quarter of 2011 rose to $69 billion from $53 billion in the year-ago quarter, boosted by higher crude oil prices. Net income was reported at $7.7 billion, improving from $5.4 billion in the same quarter a year before.
During the second quarter, Chevron announced that it had completed the sale of its fuels marketing and aviation business in three Central American countries, as well as other assets in North America and China.Regarding probable sales, John Watson, the company's CEO, said, "We reached an important milestone in streamlining our downstream asset portfolio with receipt of government approval for the planned sale of our refining and marketing assets in the United Kingdom and Ireland." Chevron's capital outlay was $13.4 billion for the first six months of 2011, and it is actively pursuing projects in the upstream segment. The stock gained 8% during the last year and is trading with a price-to-earnings ratio of 7.3, based on estimated 2011 earnings. Among analysts covering the stock, 81% have buy ratings on it. The average analyst one-year price target is about 25% greater than the stock's current levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV