NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Blockbuster could be starring in its very own new movie come Friday -- "A Stream Come True."
The movie rental company, which was bought out of bankruptcy in April by Dish Network (DISH), will host a press conference that overtly hints at an announcement regarding introducing its own streaming video service.
At the conference, which will take place in San Francisco, the company promises to unveil "the most comprehensive home entertainment package ever."
Dish CEO Joe Clayton and Blockbuster President Michael Kelly will both speak at the event.>Click here to take our Netflix poll. This comes as rival Netflix, which all but forced Blockbuster into bankruptcy, is experiencing its own hiccups. Chief Executive Reed Hastings issued a mea culpa on Sunday evening, apologizing for miscommunication in the company's recent 60% price hike . In the same blog post, Hastings also revealed that the company will now be split, renaming the DVD business "Qwikster" and having its streaming service live under the Netflix banner. This is the latest move by Netflix that has alienated subscribers. Earlier in the month, the company ended talks with Liberty Starz to renew its streaming contract, which will result in less titles available come February 2012. Blockbuster is kicking Netflix while its down, issuing a media campaign designed to woo irate Netflix subscribers and introduce them to its own Total Access DVD-by-mail program. -- Written by Jeanine Poggi >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV