The Reaves Utility Income Fund (NYSE Amex: UTG) announced today the next three monthly dividends, at a rate of $0.125 per common share per month, unchanged from the per share rate paid for the previous quarter. The dividend represents an annualized yield of 6.01% based on the current market price. As of September 16, 2011, the Fund’s market price was $24.94 per share and its net asset value was $23.28 per share.
The Fund has formally implemented the 19b-1 exemption received from the Securities & Exchange Commission in 2009. A portion of each distribution may be treated as paid from sources other than net income, including but not limited to short-term capital gain, long-term capital gain and return of capital. The final determination of the source of these distributions, including the percentage of qualified dividend income, will be made after the Fund’s year end.
Ronald J. Sorenson, Portfolio Manager of the Fund, Chief Executive Officer and Chief Investment Officer at Reaves Asset Management recently commented on the 2.1 percentage point spread between the yield on utilities as represented by the Philadelphia Utility Index (UTY) and the yield on ten-year Treasuries. “We believe this is an historical anomaly. Regulated utilities have a history of raising dividends even during severe downturns like that of 2008 – 2009. Given the increasing dividend and the relatively high yield compared to Treasuries, we believe utilities provide a superior investment opportunity to fixed income securities at present.”
Not less than eighty percent of the Fund’s assets will continue to be invested in the securities of utility companies. As a policy, the Fund continues to strive to provide a high level of after-tax income and total return consisting primarily of tax-advantaged dividend income and capital appreciation.The following dates apply to the upcoming dividends that have been declared:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV