SandRidge Energy (SD) is an independent oil and natural gas company with operations in the Permian Basin and Mid-Continent region of the central U.S.
The company has been increasing its capital expenditures significantly and is increasing its borrowings, Hodges said. Investors haven't liked that, causing its stock to plummet 27% over the past three months.SandRidge is aggressive. It acquired significant oil shale acreage a few years ago for $100 million and just sold 10% of it for $500 million to South Korean investors, which will help fund new drilling programs, said Hodges. "I think analysts have been getting this wrong (with their mostly negative ratings) and don't understand what they're doing," Hodges said. "They were natural-gas drillers a few years ago and now its 80% oil, which is much more lucrative. And this is a company with one of best executives in the business running it" in Tom Ward. SandRidge's share performance has been volatile. The stock has risen 2.9% this year and 53% over the past 12 months. The company has a market value of $3 billion. >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 7 Top-Performing Stocks From the No. 1 Small-Cap Fund portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV