At least in those days, before the socialists took over, we didn't have to spend money to provide social security handouts to old people. Let them sell apples!
It can be argued that saving GM and Chrysler was a brilliant move that not only preserved a key segment of our manufacturing sector but also created restructured companies that will benefit millions of shareholders, employees and automobile buyers. In particular, had the companies failed, taxpayers would have picked up billions in pension obligations.
But it cannot be said that GM and Chrysler are self-reliant. Only Ford has been that.
-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.>To contact the writer of this article, click here:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV