No. 5 -- HP Breakup
For a nearly a year after his arrival, HP's (HPQ) new chief Leo Apotheker quietly assessed the PC giant's problems as he prepared a grand solution.
On Aug. 18, Apotheker made what was seen as a rash move to kill the Palm WebOS TouchPad products, explore the spinoff of the world's largest PC business, and retool the company as more of an enterprise software company.Overnight, the stock fell 23% as investors fled in the aftermath of the breakup strategy. Though the company has backpedaled on any immediate carve-out of the PC division, and has revived limited production of TouchPad tablets, there's been no atonement yet by Apotheker.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV