And while fessing up to blunders is a rare but somewhat welcome move, it seems like a good time to look at other goofs in tech that might be worthy of an apology.
Netflix' eagerness to not get bogged down in its costly, aging mail-order DVD business while pursuing the cloud-based venture of video streaming is understandable. But the transition has been as jarring to consumers as it has been to investors.
While Hastings has offered up an apology of sorts and a puzzling company split to prove his point, other companies like Apple (AAPL), Yahoo! (YHOO), and Research In Motion (RIMM) have taken a far less conciliatory path in handling mess-ups.Here are some outstanding goofs by tech companies that probably deserve an wholehearted apology, but don't hold your breath waiting.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV