And while fessing up to blunders is a rare but somewhat welcome move, it seems like a good time to look at other goofs in tech that might be worthy of an apology.
Netflix' eagerness to not get bogged down in its costly, aging mail-order DVD business while pursuing the cloud-based venture of video streaming is understandable. But the transition has been as jarring to consumers as it has been to investors.
While Hastings has offered up an apology of sorts and a puzzling company split to prove his point, other companies like Apple (AAPL), Yahoo! (YHOO), and Research In Motion (RIMM) have taken a far less conciliatory path in handling mess-ups.Here are some outstanding goofs by tech companies that probably deserve an wholehearted apology, but don't hold your breath waiting.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV