NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The State Department is warning western companies operating in North Africa of a possible terrorist threat to their workers and facilities.
The State Department warned on Friday that these western oil companies could become Al Qaeda targets, attacked with weapons that may have been seized by terrorists affiliated with Al Qaeda during the Libyan civil war, according to an anonymous source cited by the Associated Press.
Weapons obtained may have included shoulder-fired and surface-to-air missiles, according to the source quoted by AP.
The State Department said Friday that the U.S. Embassy in Algeria immediately alerted the potential targets after being notified of the potential threats.The U.S. and other countries are growing more and more anxious over the alarming number of weapons that have gone missing from Libya and where they could have ended up. Eni (E), Total (TOT), BP (BP), PetroChina (PTR), ConocoPhillips (COP), Shell (RDS.A) and Suncor Energy (SU) are among the energy companies exposed to North Africa. -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV