NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Here's what subscribers need to know about the new Netflix (NFLX), which announced late Sunday that it is splitting the company into two separate businesses -- one for DVD rentals and one for streaming video.
Here's what subscribers need to know about the shift.
- The company will rename its DVD-by-mail service "Qwikster;" it is merely a renamed version of the Netflix DVD Web site. It's streaming service will continue to operate under the Netflix banner.
- Qwikster will be the same Web site and DVD service subscribers have become accustomed to. It will add a video game rental option for Wii, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 games.
- There are no price changes. Each service will continue to cost $7.99 per month. Members who subscribe to both services will have two entries on their credit card statements, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as the current charges.
- Current subscribers won't have to do anything special if they already subscribe to Netflix's DVD-by-mail service.
-- Written by Jeanine Poggi
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi.>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV