GXG has paid two dividends since it listed payout $0.53 in December 2009 followed by $0.13 a year later. This reinforces a point I make often about ETF dividends being very lumpy.
iShares MSCI All Peru Capped Index Fund (EPU) is a similarly concentrated portfolio as miner Cia de Minas Buenaventura (BVN) comprises 20% of the fund followed by Creditcorp at 14% and Southern Copper (SCCO) at just under 12%. Materials account for 60% of the fund and financials weigh in at 19%.
The last choice here is the Global X FTSE Andean 40 ETF (AND) which of course offers exposure to the region without having to choose an individual country. This fund allocates 51% to Chile, 33% to Colombia and 16% to Peru. Materials and financials are the largest sectors with each being close to 25%. The largest individual holdings are all the names mentioned throughout this article.
A bigger picture reason to consider these countries in conjunction with the natural resources leading to a viable middle-class theme is that during the last decade as the S&P 500 declined 24% on a price basis the equity markets in these countries carried on without us; Chile up 194%, Peru up 680% and Colombia had almost a six-fold increase. Those returns all came via very bumpy rides and, even if not repeatable, show that these markets can thrive as the U.S. flounders.Readers Also Like: >> Goldman's Best Energy Stocks for Next 6 Months >> 'Go Where the Crisis Is -- Europe' to Buy Stocks
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV