One potential breakout play in the metal mining complex is Horsehead Holding (ZINC), a producer of specialty zinc- and nickel-based products sold primarily to customers throughout the U.S. This stock has been trending lower so far in 2011, with shares off by around 20%.
If you take a look at the chart for Horsehead, you'll see that this stock was hammered lower from its April highs of $16.82 a share to its current price of just over $10.30 a share. During that big drop, the stock was mostly making lower highs and lower lows. That said, during the past two months, the stock has started to make higher lows and higher highs, which could be signaling a bullish trend change. Even more bullish is the 6% spike in the stock today on big volume. Volume today has already clocked in at over 685,000 shares which is well above its three-month average volume of 567,000 shares.
Market players should now watch for a breakout trade to trigger with a move above $10.70 a share on strong volume. Keep in mind that if the stock trades and closes above $10.70 it will also clear its 50-day moving average of $10.40, which is also bullish for the stock. A move above those levels should set this name up for a big run back towards $12 to $13 a share or possibly even higher.One could be a buyer of this stock on any weakness in anticipation of the breakout, as long as it doesn't break that near-term pattern of higher lows. Or you could just buy strength and buy a big volume move over $10.70. I would not ignore that volume spike today if we do get a close near or above $10.70. This is another stock with a high short interest since 9.8% of the float is currently sold short by the bears. I think this stock has a high probability of seeing a big short squeeze on a move above $10.70 with volume. >>Practice your stock trading strategies and win cash in our stock game.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV