Thank you for your support.
Richard S. Press, Chairman, on behalf of the Board of DirectorsVALIDUS MISSTATEMENTS AND CLAIMS: CORRECTING THE RECORD 1. Claim: "…we see this as essentially a book for book value exchange at parity to each party"(6)
- Fact: Validus never conducted due diligence of non-public information. One cannot realistically arrive at a book value to book value transaction by arbitrarily adjusting downward Transatlantic's book value.
- Fact: Four external parties, including two independent actuarial firms, evaluated Transatlantic's reserves over the last 12 months. All of these parties were comfortable with the adequacy of our reserves.
- Fact: Validus never conducted due diligence of non-public information.
- Fact: Moody's states that the combination would be "credit negative" for Transatlantic. ( 8)
- Fact: Higher ratings are better than lower ratings.
- Fact: This claim is based on the assumption of including Validus' junior subordinated debentures as 100% equity. The Validus S-4 discloses a pro forma total debt to capitalization ratio of 23.4%, which we believe to be more reflective of rating agencies' views.(10)
- Fact: Validus' claim is based solely on one event and on a flawed comparison of Transatlantic's Japanese loss to its Florida PML .
- Fact: Transatlantic has consistently outperformed Validus when measuring after-tax cat losses as a percentage of cumulative property catastrophe premiums written, even when comparing Transatlantic's net losses to net premiums to Validus' net losses to gross premiums . Between January 1, 2008-June 30, 2011 after-tax cat losses prior to any reinstatement premiums as a percentage of gross property catastrophe premiums written were 52% for Validus. For Transatlantic, for the same period, the ratio of after-tax cat losses prior to any reinstatement premiums as a percentage of net property catastrophe premiums written was only 44%.(12)
- Fact: Transatlantic has been writing cat business for 25 years compared with less than six years for Validus.
- Fact: Validus' Lloyd's syndicate's (Talbot's) premium appears to be more than 50% reinsurance, which would bring the parent company business mix to about an 80/20 split of reinsurance to insurance.(14)
- Fact: Talbot is subject to Lloyd's restrictions and requirements and is not an effective substitute for U.S. primary insurance operations for Transatlantic.
- Fact: Validus Re Europe has only $6 million of capital and Transatlantic Re writes more than $1 billion of European premium.
- Fact: No line of business comprises more than 16% of Transatlantic's premium and 50% of its premium is written outside the U.S. We do not need to merge with Validus to achieve diversification. If anybody needs a deal to "diversify," it is Validus.
- Fact: Transatlantic wrote more than $200 million of premium in 2010 from Bermuda-based cedants.
- Fact: Lloyd's as a composite represents $215 million of Transatlantic's premium and is one of our top 5 reinsurance clients.
- Fact: Transatlantic writes nearly as much property cat premium as Validus – you do not need a substantial Bermuda-based operation to write cat business.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.