We have expeditiously and fully evaluated alternative offers. Management traveled the country twice since June to solicit and respond to investor views. We have returned every phone call. We have been honest and transparent. Do not believe what Validus' management tells you about our motivations. They are biased and wrong.
This brings us to the consent solicitation filed by Validus this week. In our view, it is obvious that Validus thinks it can determine the future course of your Company by nominating its three hand-picked candidates to consummate a hostile takeover. We believe the solicitation is another in a series of transparent and opportunistic attempts to mislead stockholders into accepting an acquisition offer that does not reflect full and fair value. We strongly urge stockholders to reject the Validus consent solicitation.
Finally, Validus has made a number of inaccurate assertions that we would like to address directly to correct the record. We have included a fact sheet at the end of this letter that recaps these misstatements and states the facts.
Notwithstanding all of the foregoing, we are ready to enter talks with Validus in a constructive manner that will allow both parties to conduct mutual due diligence.The Path Forward If we were to undertake a strategic combination, it would have to be the right transaction, one that fairly rewards stockholders and meets multiple objectives. To be clear, Transatlantic believes that the right strategic combination presents an attractive opportunity, but is not an imperative. We have a proven track record of creating value for our stockholders. Over a 20-plus year period as a public company, we have grown book value per share at 12% per year over multiple industry cycles and have done so while being a U.S. taxpayer (unlike most of our competitors). We strongly believe that Transatlantic's existing franchise will continue to deliver this type of performance, which should be further enhanced by the $600 million share repurchase program we announced today. This program, which represents a $455 million increase to our existing repurchase authority, includes a commitment to repurchase $300 million of shares prior to December 31, 2011 and plans to complete the remainder of the program during 2012. This program should deliver immediate value to our stockholders. Had the repurchase activity taken place in the first half of 2011, it would have enhanced book value per share by 7%(5) while preserving our franchise and ratings. Additionally, we have never stopped addressing the strategic initiatives we identified in our original 2010 review:
- Completing insurance licensing process for our Putnam subsidiary, which will provide access to U.S. primary insurance business
- Executing on existing plan to address European and Latin American regulatory requirements
- Adjusting the mix of short-tail and long-tail business, given the current or future market environment
- Remaining focused on lowering cost of capital
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV