NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Chinese investigators are suggesting that the local unit of ConocoPhillips (COP) still hasn't properly sealed all oil leaks coming from its offshore wells in China's Bohai Bay.
Xinhua News Agency reported that China's State Oceanic Administration (SOA) says a team of investigators have found oil slicks near one of the company's offshore drilling platforms and new oil surfacing at the Bohai Bay in northern China every minute.
The SOA is urging ConocoPhillips China to use "all possible measures" to prevent further environment damage in the area, according to Xinhua.
The report also says that compensation procedures related to the environmental damage caused by the spills before Sept. 1 are in progress.Another lawsuit will be filed against ConocoPhillips China for damages rendered after that day. Earlier this month, ConocoPhillips formally apologized to Chinese regulators for the oil spill and said that it would create a fund to help handle the clean-up costs. The Peng Lai 19-3 oil field in Bohai Bay, where the spills have been occurring, is operated by ConocoPhillips China and 51%-controlled by Chinese state oil company Cnooc (CEO). -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV