1. Jerome Kerviel
Jerome Kerviel joined Societe Generale (SCGLY) in 2000, working in a compliance department and was promoted to junior trader by 2005.
In 2008, the bank accused him of making unauthorized speculative trades that had cost it $6.7 billion dollars.
Kerviel maintained that the bank and his bosses encouraged massive risk-taking as long as it made money.Kerviel was sentenced to serve three years in prison, but that was where he got off easy. He was also ordered to pay back $6.7 billion to Societe Generale, which would likely take him more than a lifetime to repay once he got out of prison. SocGen was ordered to pay a $5.5 million fine for failing to adequately supervise Kerviel. "The absence of proper supervision on the part of the bank should not have been interpreted as a tacit green light to engage in wild speculation," Judge Dominique Pauthe said, according to reports. --Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV