NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Microsoft's (MSFT) next generation of Windows, named Windows 8, is scheduled for release sometime next year. Pre-launch excitement is building and demand for the new generation interface, designed and optimized for touch, is solid. The preview build of Windows 8 itself has been downloaded more than 500,000 times by eager beavers during the preview launch week.
Microsoft announced that Windows 8 would run not only on Intel chips, but also on ARM-based ones. This could benefit ARM companies, which, otherwise, were not so popular and were shut out of the PC market as compared to the monopoly of traditional "Wintel." As an increasing number device manufacturers use the low-power processors to run mobile devices, the ARM processor has seen a revival in interest over the past few years.
With Windows historically being one of the most profitable divisions of Microsoft, the launch of a new operating platform would automatically boost sales of the interface as the Window 8 apps can use a broad set of controls that are designed for seamless connectivity. Also, with MSFT smartly trying to capture the Apple (AAPL) way of launching apps in Windows 8 would lead to a significant change in the company's approach to applications and software.
These six stocks are likely to gain as it would help each of them distinctly with one benefiting from new laptop orders, while others gain from the rising use of ARM chips in technologies yet to be launched. Industry observers speculate that these chips would also work well in data center environments where it could save energy. It is likely that laptops and notebooks would eventually start sporting ARM processors.Analysts polled by Bloomberg foresee potential upside of 14% to 64% for these stocks, with buy rating of 54% and hold rating of 37%. These stocks are listed in ascending order of potential upside.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV