WASHINGTON, Sept. 14, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In a letter to Michael Sovern, Sotheby's Independent Chairman of the Board and Chairman of the Board's Nominating Committee, Teamsters General Secretary-Treasurer Tom Keegel urged that James Murdoch be asked to immediately step down as a director of the company.
The letter, sent on behalf of the Teamsters Affiliates Pension Plan, a shareholder of Sotheby's ( NYSE: BID ), argues that recent developments in the phone-hacking scandal at News Corp ( Nasdaq: NWSA ) cast doubt over Murdoch's ability to serve as an effective and credible director at Sotheby's. Murdoch has become a central focus of numerous investigations, in the U.S. and abroad, examining the failures of judgment, oversight and accountability that allowed a five-year old hacking scandal to escalate into a full-blown corporate crisis.
The ongoing investigations include a UK judicial inquiry into the extent of unlawful or improper conduct at News International; an investigation by the Commons Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee into the entire scandal; ongoing police investigations in the UK and U.S.; civil actions from alleged hacking victims; various shareholder legal actions; and an internal investigation by News Corp.Together these lengthy and high-profile probes raise concerns as to how Murdoch will be able to devote the necessary time and energy to the board and serve with the required integrity. Even should these investigations clear Murdoch of misconduct, his relationship with key stakeholders, including the public, regulators, the media, and sections of the investment community, will remain damaged. It is also not clear if Murdoch brings unique qualities and expertise to the board that could not be found in equal or greater measure elsewhere.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV