Market Preview: Data Deluge Ahead
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- It's all positive so far this week with the major U.S. equity indices enjoying a three-day winning streak as the headlines from overseas increasingly point towards Greece being able to avoid default.
Thursday, however, may have enough economic data to turn Wall Street's attention back stateside. At 8:30 a.m. ET, a slew of reports hit the tape -- weekly initial and continuing jobless claims, the consumer price index for August, and the Empire State manufacturing index.
The employment data should be more of the same. The consensus is for initial claims of 410,000, still holding above the 400K level. The read on CPI is for an increase of 0.2%, building on a 0.5% rise in July, which was the biggest jump since March.
Industrial production and capacity utilization for August will show up at 9:15 a.m. ET, followed by the Philadelphia Fed survey for September at 10 a.m. ET. High Frequency Economics is expecting improvement to -10.0 from the surprise drop to -30.7 in August, but there's still going to be some apprehension on trading floors before the number hits the tape. The consensus is also at -10.0, according to Briefing.com.Ian Shepherdson, chief U.S. economist at High Frequency Economics, cautions that jobless claims could deliver a bit of a shock as he's still waiting for Hurricane Irene to manifest itself. "It didn't happen last week," he writes. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV