|Post Brand Cereal|
Ralcorp has rejected ConAgra's advances three times already, most recently turning down an offer for $94 a share in August. That bid was up from $86 a share; the original bid was for $82.
Ralcorp instead has touted its plan to spin off its Post Cereals unit as one that offered superior value to shareholders. After ConAgra was rejected by Ralcorp three times, some analysts speculated ConAgra might go ahead and turn its bid hostile. ConAgra had said it was considering its options after the latest rejection.Late Tuesday, ConAgra said Ralcorp's board was "singularly focused" on its Post spinoff, refusing any attempts at M&A negotiations. ConAgra argued the "superior value and certainty" of its acquisition offer. ConAgra maintained that its offer represented a 44% premium to Ralcorp's March 21 closing price, the day before it made its initial bid; the maker of Chef Boyardee, Healthy Choice and Hebrew National food brands also said its bid was 32% higher than Ralcorp's all-time closing high. On Tuesday, Ralcorp shares closed up at $85.14, giving the $94 bid a 10% premium. Ralcorp shares were 10.3% lower in premarket trading on Wednesday, while ConAgra was up by 0.5% ahead of the opening bell.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV