ORLANDO, Fla., Sept. 13, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- In conjunction with the recent filing of Amendment No. 1 to its Form 10 Registration Statement ("Form 10") with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation announces its future board of directors. Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation expects to become a publicly traded company separate from Marriott International, Inc. (NYSE: MAR) by year-end 2011, becoming the world's largest pure-play timeshare company.
The following individuals have agreed to serve as board members for Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation, effective upon its spin-off from Marriott International:
- Chairman of the Board, William J. Shaw , retired this year as vice chairman from Marriott International after 37 years having served in various roles including president and chief operating officer. He was a senior leader within Marriott International at the time of the company's entry into the timeshare industry and remained actively involved in Marriott International's successful timeshare business over the course of his career. Today, he is director emeritus of Marriott International's board of directors, and he serves on the board of trustees of the University of Notre Dame, the boards of three funds in the American Family of Mutual Funds and the board of the United Negro College Fund.
- President and Chief Executive Officer, Stephen P. Weisz , is a 39 year Marriott International associate who has served in various senior leadership positions. For the past 15 years he has served as president of Marriott Vacation Club International. He is currently a member of the board of directors and a trustee of the American Resort Development Association and also presently serves on the board of trustees for Children's Miracle Network. Weisz is a graduate of the School of Hotel Administration at Cornell University and in 2001 received an honorary doctoral degree in Business Administration from Johnson & Wales University.
- Deborah Marriott Harrison is the senior vice president of Government Affairs at Marriott International. Her strong commitment to the community and her extensive involvement in government affairs brings valuable insights to Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation which operates in a heavily regulated industry at both the federal and state level.
- Raymond L. "Rip" Gellein, Jr . is known for his leadership as chairman and chief executive officer of Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., (formerly Vistana) and president of the Global Development Group of Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide. He is a 2008 recipient of the American Resort Development Association's ACE Lifetime Achievement Award. Gellein also currently serves as chairman of the board of directors of Strategic Hotels and Resorts, Inc. (NYSE: BEE).
- Thomas J. Hutchison III is a senior executive with more than 40 years of experience in the lodging, hospitality, travel, golf, real estate development and financial services industries. He has held several key executive positions over an eight year period of time: chief executive officer of CNL Hotels & Resorts, Inc., chief executive officer of CNL Retirement Properties, Inc., chief executive officer of CNL Income Properties, Inc., chief executive officer of CNL Real Estate Services, Inc., and chief executive officer of CNL Realty & Development, Inc. Hutchison is currently a director for KSL Capital Partners LLC, ClubCorp, Inc., U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Hersha Hospitality Trust.
- Melquiades R. (Mel) Martinez is chairman of Florida, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean of JPMorgan Chase & Co. He has been a business and civic leader and a role model in Florida for decades and has served the people well at both the local and national level. Martinez is the first Cuban-American to serve in the United States Senate. He was also elected Mayor of Orange County, Fla. and was appointed as the 12th Secretary of Housing and Urban Development under former President George W. Bush. Martinez currently serves on the boards of Habitat International, the Central Florida Commission on Homelessness and the Terwilliger Center for Workforce Housing and the Urban Land Institute.
- William W. McCarten is chairman of DiamondRock Hospitality Company (NYSE: DRH). He also served as chief executive officer of DiamondRock Hospitality Company as well as president and chief executive officer of HMS Host Corporation. Over the course of his career, he enjoyed 18 years with Marriott International in a variety of executive level positions. Today, McCarten is a director of Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc. and a trustee of The Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests. He has also served on the Jefferson Scholars Foundation National Selection Committee and the McIntire School of Commerce Advisory Board at the University of Virginia.
"We are excited to welcome these respected and accomplished individuals to the board of directors of Marriott Vacations Worldwide," said Mr. Weisz. "We are looking forward to working with them as they represent and promote the interests of shareholders with a view toward creating long-term shareholder value."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.