PID boasts a number of qualities that make it attractive given this current environment. It is important, however, that investors view this fund as they would any other international ETF. By keeping exposure small and focused, it is possible to not only benefit from the fund's consistent payouts, but also protect against the threat of ongoing volatility in the international markets.
In recent weeks I have attempted to provide investors with a variety of tools to safely navigate these choppy economic waters. Although it can be easy to get caught up in the deluge of negative headlines, I do not feel that fleeing the markets is the best strategy at this time. Rather, long-term investors should use these shaky periods to build up a proper line of defense.
PID can be added to the list of tools which already includes domestic dividend-paying equities, gold, bonds, and defensive currencies. Using a well constructed combination of these asset classes, it is possible to create a suitable shield against this bout of market turmoil.
Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV