PID boasts a number of qualities that make it attractive given this current environment. It is important, however, that investors view this fund as they would any other international ETF. By keeping exposure small and focused, it is possible to not only benefit from the fund's consistent payouts, but also protect against the threat of ongoing volatility in the international markets.
In recent weeks I have attempted to provide investors with a variety of tools to safely navigate these choppy economic waters. Although it can be easy to get caught up in the deluge of negative headlines, I do not feel that fleeing the markets is the best strategy at this time. Rather, long-term investors should use these shaky periods to build up a proper line of defense.
PID can be added to the list of tools which already includes domestic dividend-paying equities, gold, bonds, and defensive currencies. Using a well constructed combination of these asset classes, it is possible to create a suitable shield against this bout of market turmoil.
Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV