MILLBURN, N.J. (Stockpickr) -- Since peaking this summer on July 22, the equity market has tumbled. Despite a slight recovery, it remains well below the summer highs. There are a variety of reasons to account for the "Summer Crash," most notably the continued weakness in the European credit markets and concerns for a double-dip recession in the U.S.
From July 22 to Sept. 2, the S&P 500 declined by 12.72% -- but not all stocks declined to that degree, and many, in fact, actually rose. Further, some of these stocks are poised for further outperformance for the balance of the year.
Related: 2 Pair Trades for a Stagnant Economy
Stock picking is all about finding the right stocks. To this end, I've performed a screen of U.S. stocks that outperformed the S&P 500 from July 22 to Sept. 2. I've excluded stocks with market capitalizations below $100 million, stocks with prices below $5, takeover targets and ETFs.Here are seven top-performing stocks that I expect to continue to outperform the market in the near future.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV