CALGARY, Sept. 13, 2011 /PRNewswire/ - David Dyck, President and Chief Operating Officer of Ivanhoe Energy Inc. (TSX: IE) (NASDAQ: IVAN), and Gerald Moench, President of Ivanhoe's wholly-owned subsidiary Sunwing Energy Ltd., announced today that Ivanhoe's drilling team has begun moving the drilling rig to the site of the second exploration well in east-central Mongolia.
"Our drilling program was designed to advance our knowledge of Mongolia's Nyalga Basin, a highly prospective area with numerous potential structures that could be tested by drilling," Mr. Dyck said. "These initial wells are testing two different structures with diverse seismic characteristics."
Mr. Dyck said testing has been completed at the first exploration well, N16-1E-1A, which was drilled to a depth of 2,003 metres. The first well has been plugged and abandoned and the rig disassembled for mobilization.
"While the testing of our first well did not encounter oil shows in the reservoir, it has provided vital information that we are combining with our seismic data to help guide our continuing drilling program."The second well is on an eight-square-kilometre structure approximately 12 kilometres from the first well. Drilling of the second well is expected to begin by the end of this month toward a target depth of approximately 2,500 metres. " Mongolia in general, and the Nyalga Basin in particular, is in the early days of oil exploration, requiring a great deal of study to understand its full potential. We remain optimistic that our exploration efforts will enable the discovery of oil resources at our Mongolian project," Mr. Dyck added. Sunwing Energy Ltd. is party to a Production-Sharing Contract with the Mongolian Government for Block XVI, a 12,679-square-kilometre area that encompasses the Nyalga Basin and is adjacent to the north-south Trans-Mongolian Railway.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV