FORT WAYNE, Ind., Sept. 12, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Steel Dynamics, Inc. (NASDAQ /GS: STLD) today announced that its board of directors has declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.10 per common share. The dividend is payable on or about October 14, 2011, to shareholders of record at the close of business on September 30, 2011.
The company also expects third quarter earnings to be in the range of $0.18 to $0.22 per diluted share, higher than third quarter 2010 earnings of $0.09 per diluted share, but lower than second quarter 2011 earnings of $0.43 per diluted share, primarily due to the substantial drop in anticipated third quarter flat rolled earnings. Despite the continuation of relatively low service-center inventory levels, flat rolled demand during July and August did not materially improve, pricing remained a challenge, and the cost of raw materials, specifically steel scrap, did not decline in step with steel prices, all of which resulted in reduced third quarter margins. In contrast, earnings contributed by the company's long product steel operations for the third quarter are expected to improve based on increased volumes and expanding margins, most notably for the company's special-bar-quality steels.
Earnings from the company's metals recycling and ferrous resources and fabrication operations are expected to be consistent with those achieved in the second quarter 2011. Overall, renewed uncertainty within the U.S. and global economies continues to negatively impact corporate and consumer spending, resulting in a challenging demand environment. The company believes if more economic clarity develops throughout the remainder of the year, demand could be expected to increase, along with steel pricing and margins which have already started to move, with the potential to positively impact fourth quarter results, given the low levels of existing inventories throughout the supply chain.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV