The deal sent NetLogic up 50%, making it the tech market's biggest winner of the day.
But global financial meltdown fears consumed much of the broader market as French banks and Italian debt became the latest focus for the Chicken Little crowd.Even with those worries, the Nasdaq finished up 27 points, or 1%, at 2,495.09 Monday. Winners, in addition to NetLogic included tech giants Apple (AAPL), Qualcomm (QCOM), VMware (VMW) and Google (GOOG), all up 2% with Google gaining 5% as investors shopped the big names for bargains. Losers on the day were the network equipment makers Nokia (NOK) Siemens (SI), Alcatel Lucent (ALU), Ericsson (ERIC) - down 2%, 3% and 4% respectively. The big communications equipment shops depend on healthy tech spending in Europe, which is not exactly a stable region at the moment. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: email@example.com. Follow Scott on Twitter at MoritzDispatch
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV