Are Credit Unions FDIC Insured?
For revocable trusts, the NCUA says that the "person who holds the power of revocation is deemed to be the owner of the funds in the account."
Things can get even more complicated for joint revocable trust accounts. The bottom line, is that you should discuss any share balances in trust accounts with credit union staff to make sure you have a clear understanding of what is insured.
Retirement accounts: If you have an individual retirement, or IRA, account at a credit union, the IRA is separately insured from your non-IRA accounts, for a total of up to $250,000. Traditional IRA, Roth IRA balances in the name of the same individual are added together and insured for a maximum of $250,000. Keogh retirement accounts are insured separately, so if you have $250,000 in traditional IRA and/or Roth IRA shares, plus a $250,000 Keogh account in the same NCUA-insured credit union, the total insured shares are $500,000.
Business accounts: Accounts in the name of a corporation, partnership or association is separately insured to an aggregate limit of $250,00, provided the organization "is engaged in independent activity," which is defined by the NCUA as "an activity other than one directed solely at increasing insurance coverage." So don't get cute-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. To contact the writer, click here: Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV