Editor's note: As part of our partnership with PBS's Nightly Business Report, TheStreet's Glenn Hall joined NBR Tuesday (watch video and read transcript here) to discuss ETF options for betting on or against Europe as Greece teeters on the brink of default.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The twists and turns of Europe's efforts to resolve its mounting debt crisis are creating an unpredictable tug of war between long and short exchange traded funds linked to European markets.
ETFs that seek to match the performance of markets in France, Italy and Germany have delivered decent returns that topped 10% and flirted with levels above 20% for much of the year, but those gains have been quickly erased every time news about the Greek debt drama emerged or pundits started stoking fear of contagion spreading to other countries.
Lately, the negativity appears to be holding longer than before and now the "short" and "ultrashort" ETFs -- designed to go in the opposite direction of European markets -- have been breaking away and delivering consistent gains.
In fact, we've been seeing the short ETFs topping 10% and flitting above 20% returns lately as the turmoil in Europe became increasingly apparent following last week's resignation of Germany's representative to the European Central Bank amid discussions about a Greek bailout and after today's report that Moody's Investors Services may cut ratings on France's largest banks, including BNP Paribas, Societe General and Credit Agricole. Shares of all three banks have taken a hit in recent weeks due to their exposure to Greek government debt.Investors face a difficult choice, especially if they already have money in long ETFs such as the iShares MSCI France (EWQ), which is sinking as short ETFs like the ProShares UltraShort MSCI (EPV) surges.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV