NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Canaccord Genuity analysts say Comstock Resources (CRK) and Penn Virginia (PVA) are two small-cap names that have garnered negative market perceptions, but are actually good stocks to buy.
Both companies are late gas-to-oil transition stories that began shifting towards the Eagle Ford oil shale development only this year. Therefore, investors view them unfavorably, perceiving them still as natural gas companies in an environment of bearishly low gas prices.
Furthermore, Penn Virginia's poor execution of projects outside the Eagle Ford shale has also hurt the stock.
Still, the analysts insist that "after the recent [roughly ] 20% underperformance to the group, we believe both stocks offer at least 30 percentage points of incremental upside relative to the sector ... looking ahead, continued operational execution and additional leasing in high-quality areas of the Eagle Ford should drive outperformance."The Canaccord Genuity analysts point out that both small-cap transition companies have been working to increase their Eagle Ford leasehold positions. Comstock for instance has 25,000 net acres in the play, with plans to grow their leasehold to 30,000 net acres, while Penn Virginia has 14,000 net acres in possession, with plans to expand to 25,000. Canaccord Genuity analysis indicates that both companies have the bank revolver capacity to execute these acquisitions and their 2012 capital plans. "Achieving targeted Eagle Ford leasehold positions should provide sufficient resource scale and legitimate franchise positions to the market." -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV