My second tobacco dividend pick is Philip Morris International (PM). This company makes seven of the top 15 brands of tobacco products in the world and sells its cigarettes in 160 countries. The company boasts at least 15% of the international cigarette market outside the U.S. Until 2008, Philip Morris actually was a part of my first recommendation, Altria Group.
Since its separation from Altria, Philip Morris has gone on an international shopping spree by acquiring additional cigarette and smokeless tobacco manufacturers. The company also has been aggressively buying back its stock (e.g., $1.36 billion in the first quarter) to boost its underlying earnings per share.
The company also has been aggressively raising new corporate debt at low interest rates to fund its aggressive acquisition campaign and to continue to buy back its outstanding stock. Add in the fact that PM has a 3.7% dividend yield and you have several compelling reasons why this stock is a favorite among investors.In the second quarter, revenue soared from $7.06 billion to $8.27 billion, a 17% year-over-year increase. Since 2010, earnings jumped from $1.98 billion, or $1.07 per share, to $2.41 billion, or $1.35 per share. This represents a 22% leap in total net income, and a 26% increase in EPS. Earnings per share also trumped analysts' predictions of $1.21, a 12% earnings surprise. The dividend, the earnings and the fact shares are up 34% in the past 12 months are all reasons why investors will flock to the stock. Also see:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV