How to Avoid Investing Scams
By Sheryl Nance-Nash, DailyFinance
By DailyFinance (DailyFinance) -- Call it investor schizophrenia: On the one hand, the volatile stock market has some investors looking for "safety;" and on the other, stock market losses have led some to desperately seek fat returns elsewhere. Either way, you could wind up in trouble, because scam artists are ready to prey on the desires of both.
"It's not a matter of simply being greedy, but people are worried they won't have the assets they need when they retire, there is a certain amount of fear and desperation," says Michael Byrne, chief counsel of the Pennsylvania Securities Commission. Unfortunately, he says there is no shortage of scammers who "don't mind nailing widows and orphans."
It's estimated that $40 billion is lost per year to investment fraud, says Bob Webster, director of communications of the North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA). Seniors are often on top of the target list.
The NASAA recently released its report, 2011 Top Investor Traps and Threats. Given the breadth and depth of the schemes it profiles, you really should be looking over your shoulder. That's not paranoia: It's prudence.
More from DailyFinance
Why Did My Stock Just Die?
Is Your Doctor on Big Pharma's Payroll?
Don't Let Bad Planning Destroy a Lifetime of Savings
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV