Perhaps Cytori Therapeutics (CYTX) is the best proxy for making an educated guess about how well Mela will perform commercially in Europe. Cytori has a CE Mark for its Celution System device, which extracts stem cells from fat tissue for use in reconstructive surgery. Cytori has not been able to gain FDA approval for Celution System, however, because the company hasn't yet conducted the clinical trials FDA requires.
Cytori has convinced a smattering of European cosmetic surgeons to purchase and use Celution System, but nowhere near the levels required to make Europe a profitable business opportunity.
Mela lacks the infrastructure, expertise and funds to sell an unproven medical device in Europe. My best guess is that Mela, just like Cytori, will find it difficult to generate significant revenue in Europe. I see no reason to change my bearish fundamental view of the company and its stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV