4 Reasons Obama's Jobs Plan Should Pass
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- President Obama presented his promised jobs bill to Congress and the American people last night. Obama's approval ratings and those of congressional Republicans are polling especially low, largely due to the economy and unemployment rates that continue to hover around 9%. Ideally, Obama's speech could be just the thing to rally Congress and demonstrate to voters that the three-ring circus surrounding the vote to raise the nation's debt ceiling really isn't par for the course in Washington.
The President's proposal has a lot going for it. It's bold, it's creative, it addresses many of the nation's biggest practical concerns, and it could put a lot of unemployed Americans back to work. Unfortunately, however, the devil remains in the details, and odds are that Congress will reject the President's plan. Here are four reasons Congress should pass President Obama's American Jobs Act ... and the reason they won't:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV