7 Mining Stocks to Watch
4. BHP Billiton (BHP), a diversified natural resources company, operates in nine customer sector groups: petroleum, aluminium, base metals (including uranium), diamonds and specialty products, stainless steel materials, iron ore, manganese, metallurgical coal and energy coal.
For fiscal year ended Jun. 30, 2011, the company recorded revenue of $71.7 billion, an increase of 35.9% from the previous year. Profit attributable to the group escalated 85.9% to $23.6 billion for the same period. Net operating cash flow surged 78.1% to $30.1 billion for the year. During fiscal 2011, BHP approved 11 major projects for a total investment commitment of $12.9 billion.
The company has completed its acquisition of Petrohawk Energy for $12.1 billion through a short-form merger of its wholly owned subsidiary with and into Petrohawk, under the Delaware law. The deal was closed with Petrohawk being the surviving entity. The company believes that with this transaction, BHP Billiton Petroleum is on track to deliver compound annual growth of 10% in production volumes for the remainder of the decade.BHP's balance sheet has capacity for opportunistic mergers and acquisitions and may target copper, energy and potash, chief executive Marius Kloppers said, adding that the company may expand in shale gas outside the U.S. following the Petrohawk deal. The company will pay dividend of 55 cents per share on Sep. 29, 2011, vs. 45 cents in the year-ago period. Of the three analysts covering the stock, 67% recommend a buy and the rest rate a hold. There are no sell ratings on the stock. Data from Bloomberg has analysts forecasting the stock gaining 26.3% to $104.40 in the upcoming 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV