BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Yesterday brought us the first positive trading day for the S&P 500 in the month of September, a statistic that's been getting a lot of attention in the last 24 hours. The metric is a little bit less consequential when you consider the fact that we'd only seen five market sessions month-to-date.
Ultimately, investor anxiety remains high right now -- no surprise given the speed of last month's selling. But with the technicals looking reasonably strong (in spite of the start of this month), bulls can breathe easier for now.
Today's lower open doesn't change that.
The S&P has pulled more than 7% higher since the lows that the index planted on Aug. 9. From that point, our proxy for the broad market has been making higher highs and lows, a good sign that buyers have regained some semblance of control in this market despite being a bit more gun-shy than normal. Those conditions are providing a solid set of technical trading opportunities this week in the big-name stocks.Related: 5 Rocket Stocks to Skirt the Selling If you're new to technical analysis, it's important to remember that technicals are a study of the market itself. Since the market is ultimately the only mechanism that determines a stock's price, technicals are a valuable tool even in the roughest of trading conditions. Technical charts are used every day by proprietary trading floors, Wall Street's biggest financial firms, and individual investors to get an edge on the market. And research shows that skilled technical traders can bank gains as much as 90% of the time. Every week, we take an in-depth look at large-cap stocks that are telling important technical stories. Here's this week's look at the technicals of five must-see stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV