Story updated with WCNC News Channel 36's retraction and additional Bank of America comment.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. ( TheStreet) -- A local news station retracted its earlier report that Bank of America (BAC) was planning 600 additional branch closings, according to an updated article published today.
In a second report, WCNC News Channel 36 apologized for the error and said there were "no new branches shutting down just the original 600 reported back in March."
Earlier this year Bank of American announced that it would shutter 10 percent, or 600 branches nationwide as part of a consolidation.The erroneous report followed a significant trimming of senior executive ranks as part of his "Project New BAC" program to streamline operations and drastically cut expenses, Bank of America (BAC) CEO Brian Moynihan has plans to split the company's banking operations into consumer and commercial units, which will include up to 600 branch closings, according to Charlotte, N.C.-based WCNC News Channel 36. Bank of America has 5,900 existing "banking centers," according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.
|Brian Moynihan keeps cutting.|
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV