NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The markets were a mixed bag over the past month or so. The S&P 500 declined 2.8%, while the S&P 500 Biotechnology Index and the Nasdaq gained 3.3% and 4.1%, respectively. Industry analysts believe the recent selloff signals bargain-buying opportunities for investors as most of these stocks are trading at attractive discounts.
Despite challenges from the worldwide economic turmoil, the global biotech and pharmaceutical industry achieved profitability for the second consecutive year in 2010 with an acceleration in merger and acquisition activity. During the first quarter of 2011, the value of mergers and acquisitions in the biotech industry was more than $1 billion. Specifically, with cancer drugs costing the U.S. a whopping $30 billion each year, it is a lucrative sector for drug developers.
Based on latest quarterly results and according to analysts' recommendations, these eight biotech stocks have potential upsides ranging from 8% to 62%. On average, these stocks have buy recommendations of 65% and hold ratings of 29%, based on a Bloomberg consensus.
>> Keep the stock market at your fingertips with TheStreet's iPad app.These stocks are listed in ascending order of upside potential.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV