NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Everyone knows the story of Cantor Fitzgerald, the bond firm on the 105th floor of the north tower of the World Trade Center, which lost more than 650 employees -- one-third of its workforce -- when American Airlines Flight 11 slammed into it Sept. 11, 2001.
Cantor Fitzgerald and CEO Howard Lutnick became the poster child for all businesses that suffered in the 9/11 attacks. Ten years later, Cantor Fitzgerald's Lutnick is sharing a new story -- one of rebirth and rebuilding.
But what of the other businesses in Manhattan's Financial District?
Some, such as Harry's Cafe & Steak, were able to not only reopen shortly after the attacks but to grow. The family-owned cafe has since expanded to 11 pastry shops and eight restaurants across the city, with two more restaurants coming soon.Others, such as Abracadabra Digital Color, which had headquarters in the center's south tower, eventually had to shut down due to the lack of business after the terrorist attacks. But owner Greg Carafello went on to start another venture -- one he plans to expand to lower Manhattan. Here are the stories of three small-business owners and how they've been able to come back from those dark days and thrive.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV