NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Shares of staffing companies declined Tuesday in the wake of Friday's weak jobs report and continued worries about the European debt crisis.
Monster Worldwide Inc., the parent company of jobs website Monster.com, was the biggest loser on the S&P 500. Monster shares lost 53 cents, or 6.1 percent, to $8.20 in afternoon trading.
Stocks traded lower Tuesday on concerns that the European debt crisis is getting worse. On Friday, the Labor Department said U.S. employers stopped adding jobs in August and the unemployment rate remained at 9.1 percent. U.S. markets were closed Monday for the Labor Day holiday.
In afternoon trading, shares of staffing company Manpower Inc. lost $1.52, or 4.1 percent, to $36. Shares of Kelly Services Inc. lost 56 cents, or 4 percent, to $13.40, while On Assignment Inc. stock slid 15 cents, or 2.2 percent, to $6.73. Robert Half International Inc. stock declined 39 cents, or 2.4 percent, to $15.85. Shares of TrueBlue Inc. slipped 33 cents, or 2.5 percent, to $12.81.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV