While impressive, on a number of occasions, I have warned investors that the Swissie is not a "set it and forget it" position. While the currency's seemingly unstoppable ascension during this period was welcomed for concerned investors, the threat of a super strong currency has weighed heavily on the Swiss government. Fearing that the Swiss National Bank would take action to pare back the franc's rise, I have encouraged investors to stay flexible and keep exposure to funds like the CurrencyShares Swiss Franc (FXF) small.
At the start of this week, these concerns came to fruition. The SNB stole headlines around the globe announcing that it was taking steps to weaken the franc. According to the release, in an effort to achieve this goal, the body is, "prepared to buy foreign currencies in unlimited quantities."
Although the Swissie and FXF may witness strength in the foreseeable future, for now conservative investors will likely be best sticking to the sidelines here.
Defensive ETFs will likely generate interest in the days and weeks ahead as resounding market turmoil leads many investors to abandon risk. While it may be tempting to dive headfirst into anything that resembles a safe haven, as we have witnessed recently, not every line of defense is equal. Preparation is the key to developing safe and effective protection.Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV