MINNEAPOLIS (Stockpickr) -- Stocks are falling on Tuesday after European stocks plunged on Monday, an off day in the U.S. market for Labor Day. This comes after the market fell broadly on Friday after another disappointing jobs report. News that the economy produced a stunning zero jobs reinforced the idea we are spiraling toward another recession. The losses could have been worse.
Uncertainty reigns. I could paint a picture of the Dow rising 1,000 points or the Dow losing 1,000 points. We are truly at a tipping point that makes long-term buy-and-hold investing challenging at best. An alternative is to trade the stocks of companies reporting earnings results.
When a company reports earnings results, for a brief moment market direction becomes irrelevant. What matters are the numbers, and attempts to predict those numbers can lead to moneymaking trades, even if the overall market activity is completely unpredictable. It sure beats getting whipsawed, never knowing what hit you until it is too late.
Related: 5 Rocket Stocks to Skirt the Selling
With that in mind, here are five earnings trades for an uncertain market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV