MINNEAPOLIS ( Stockpickr) -- Stocks are falling on Tuesday after European stocks plunged on Monday, an off day in the U.S. market for Labor Day. This comes after the market fell broadly on Friday after another disappointing jobs report. News that the economy produced a stunning zero jobs reinforced the idea we are spiraling toward another recession. The losses could have been worse.
Uncertainty reigns. I could paint a picture of the Dow rising 1,000 points or the Dow losing 1,000 points. We are truly at a tipping point that makes long-term buy-and-hold investing challenging at best. An alternative is to trade the stocks of companies reporting earnings results.
When a company reports earnings results, for a brief moment market direction becomes irrelevant. What matters are the numbers, and attempts to predict those numbers can lead to moneymaking trades, even if the overall market activity is completely unpredictable. It sure beats getting whipsawed, never knowing what hit you until it is too late.
Related: 5 Rocket Stocks to Skirt the Selling
With that in mind, here are five earnings trades for an uncertain market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV