Over the weekend news came out that the U.S. Postal Service is in trouble. It needs to lay off 220,000 workers by 2015 but are prohibited from doing so by union contracts. It is required to pay billions into a retirement fund and does not have the cash to do so. In addition, the USPS is pressuring its outside contractors to reduce costs and is seeking Congressional approval to do these things that by contract it is not allowed to do. It makes me wish I could short the Post Office.
Although shorting the USPS is not possible, one can short FedEx (FDX), a large Post Office contractor. The company is likely to lose part of its billion dollar contract if it does not volunteer to cut costs. To play this I like the idea of a vertical call spread.
Trades: Sell to open FDX October 80 calls at $1.46 and buy to open FDX October 82.5 call for $0.95.
The net credit on this spread is $0.51 which is our potential maximum profit. The risk is strictly limited to the 2.5 strike price differential less the credit, or $1.99. The net delta on this trade is -.08, so this is like being short eight shares of the stock. One can consider that in deciding how large a position to put on. The trade will also benefit from a favorable theta burn of .006 per day.
Click here for a 14-day free trial to Options Profits
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV