NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- PepsiCo's (PEP) Gatorade brand of sports drinks will continue to be one of the only brand names on the field at NFL games, along with Motorola (MMI), after Pepsi announced a 10-year extension of its sponsorship deal.
Pepsi's NFL sponsorship extension, valued at $2.3 billion and announced early Tuesday, ensures that Pepsi brands Gatorade, Pepsi MAX and Frito-Lay will continue their relationship with the NFL. Its Quaker Oats brand will become a new partner with the league next year, while its Tropicana brand will also join ranks as a Pepsi brand engaged with the NFL's 2012 season.
Aside from on-field football equipment, Gatorade and Motorola are the only brands with a presence at NFL games. Pepsi's Gatorade makes memorable appearances when players shower winning coaches with the sports drink, while team coaches don Motorola headsets -- high-profile images that Pepsi's marketing team was smart to maintain. The NFL also renewed its sponsorship deal with General Motors (GM), and announced new deals with insurer USAA and electronics maker Bose. The NFL expects game attendance to rise this year, and television viewership is also projected to be strong, giving sponsorship brands even more visibility to millions of fans. Pepsi's renewed deal will run through the 2022 playoffs. Pepsi shares were 2.3% lower Tuesday morning at $61.81.
-- Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @miriamsmarket. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
>>See our new stock quote page.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV