NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Temple-Inland (TIN) shares were popping 25.5% on Tuesday as the company announced it entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by International Paper (IP) for $32 a share, or about $3.7 billion.
The Memphis, Tenn.-based International Paper raised its bid for Temple-Inland by 5%, which was enough to persuade Temple-Inland's board to agree to a sale. The original June bid was for $30.60 a share.
Shares of Austin,Texas-based Temple-Inland, a maker of corrugated packaging, were at $30.92, up $6.29 early Tuesday. International Paper shares were at $26.20, up 71 cents, or 2.8%.
"Acquiring Temple-Inland enhances our ability to generate additional cash flow while maintaining our strong balance sheet," International Paper CEO John Faraci said in a statement.International Paper said it expects the deal to close in the first quarter of 2012 if Temple-Inland shareholders approve the deal. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York.
>To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV