CUPERTINO, Calif., Sept. 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- DURECT Corporation (Nasdaq: DRRX) announced today the dosing of the last patient in the U.S. pivotal Phase III clinical study for POSIDUR® known as BESST (Bupivacaine Effectiveness and Safety in SABER trial). POSIDUR is a post-operative pain relief depot that utilizes DURECT's patented SABER™ technology to deliver bupivacaine to provide up to three days of pain relief after surgery. DURECT expects to report top-line data from the BESST trial in the fourth quarter of 2011 and, if the data are positive, to submit the New Drug Application in the first half of 2012.
"We believe that POSIDUR has the potential to play a major role in treating post-surgical pain, reducing the need for systemic narcotics and associated side effects, as well as costs associated with extended hospital stays," stated James E. Brown, President and CEO.
"We are encouraged by this important development milestone for POSIDUR, an innovative product candidate which may represent a significant step-forward in the management of acute pain for patients following surgical procedures. Hospira is committed to bringing POSIDUR to market rapidly following FDA review and approval," added Andrew Robbins, Vice President, corporate development at Hospira, Inc. POSIDUR is licensed to Hospira (NYSE: HSP) for commercialization in the U.S. and Canada.About the Design of BESST BESST is an international, multi-center, randomized, double-blind, controlled trial evaluating the safety, efficacy, effectiveness, and pharmacokinetics of POSIDUR in 305 patients undergoing a variety of general abdominal surgical procedures. Eligible patients were randomly assigned to one of three cohorts: Cohort 1: An active comparator cohort in which 48 patients were randomized to receive either POSIDUR 5.0 mL or commercially available Bupivacaine HCl solution after laparotomy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV