BOSTON (MainStreet) -- What price security?
For the Transportation Security Administration, it comes at nearly $8.1 billion a year, its budget for Fiscal Year 2011.
The noble goal of keeping air travel safe from terrorist threat hasn't meant critics of the agency formed shortly after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, have been silenced.
There are disgruntled travelers who rail against the "security theater" of taking off shoes and passing through X-ray machines. Airlines complain that they have suffered millions in lost customers and out-of-pocket expenses. Several airports are looking at the prospect of opting out of TSA agreements to pursue private security contractors that might save them money. A study by Cornell University even made the claim that traffic fatalities have risen since the hassle of air travel has pushed added motorists onto highways.But amid the gripes and cost to airports, airlines and taxpayers, there are some who profit from the threat of terrorism and the efforts of the TSA.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV