The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
By Bruce Mehlman
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Consumer confidence is plunging. Economic growth has stalled. Foreclosures persist, the European debt debacle continues, U.S. unemployment remains high and America's annual government deficits are north of a trillion. The global economy is a scary place.
Yet amid the financial doom and gloom, one bright spot remains: mobile broadband. Throughout the dot-com bust of 2001, the financial collapse of 2008 and the 2011 debt dip, broadband availability, adoption and innovation expanded steadily and impressively. Wireless data services barely existed in 2001; today, more than 300 million Americans subscribe.Wireless devices of a decade ago are museum relics compared with the current generation of smart phones, tablets and mobile appliances. Expanding wireless services will lead to critically-needed new jobs for our economy...as many as 771,000 according to Deloitte, both in the telecom industry directly and in the broader ecosystem of broadband-enabled jobs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV