Independent oil and gas E&P Berry Petroleum (BRY) has had to deal with volatile commodity prices in 2011 that have thrown around the value of its wares. While the year started off strong for oil, volatility increased dramatically during the year, and the trend reversed downward for oil back at the end of April. While that does mean that most oil producers won't see the blockbuster profits that they expected when oil was sitting at triple-digits, investors shouldn't cry for firms like Berry.
That's because oil still remains at relative highs right now, maintaining profitability in Berry's economically viable production sites. Another benefit to Berry is the firm's heavy exposure to natural gas -- while gas prices have gotten knocked around so far this year, the consensus remains that gas prices will rise as market participants substitute it for more expensive fuel sources. Berry's 6.67% dividend hike last week brings the firm's total quarterly yield to eight cents per share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV